Are you thinking about updating your cover image on your Facebook page? Are you a little nervous about the rules and regulations? Let us help with a step-by-step guide on How-To create and upload a Facebook cover that makes people say WOW! Make a great first impression and show off your brand’s features while staying within Facebook’s guidelines.
Facebook has decided the cover image should be an eye-catching image that engages but is not an advertisement that uses overt sales techniques. The first step is understanding the guidelines Facebook created for Pages and their cover photos.
Here are some of the DO NOT’s:
1) DO NOT Include price or purchase information, such as “20% off” or “Download it here” with the actual download URL included.
2) DO NOT Show contact details, such as email, website address, physical address. This information should be shown in the About section. If there is a place for a piece of information in the About section, it is probably a good bet that Facebook thinks that information should not be included on your cover photo.
3) DO NOT Include Calls to Action, such as “Get it Here” or “Take the next step by going here”.
4) Previously, it was a fairly common practice to include a request to “Like” our page or “Share” this content. You might even see an Arrow point down to the place where the user could “Like” the page. However, it is no longer ok to include references to Facebook features or actions on your cover image.
5) And the legalese “covers can’t be deceptive, misleading, or infringe on anyone else’s copyright.”
The best-looking cover photos take advantage of the uniqueness of the Facebook cover photo size and composition.
Thank you to LunaMetrics for the image.
Here are the specifics:
1) Official Facebook cover photo size: 851 pixels wide by 315 pixels tall
2) Official minimum image dimension: 720 pixels wide
3) Profile Image Size: 160 x 160 pixels, with a minimum image upload size of 180 x 180 pixels
4) Profile Image Square Cut-Out: 168 pixels wide by 103 pixels tall, spaced 23 pixels from the left edge of the cover photo
It is best to upload an image that meets Facebook’s dimensions as closely as possible. If your image is smaller than the exact dimensions the image will be stretched and the quality will be distorted. When deciding on an image for your cover photo, choose high-quality images, which are optimized for web viewing.
Here are some ideas on types of images to use for your cover photo:
- Your popular products or services
- Employees educating your customers about your products
- Customers using your products
- Seasonal themed images
- Location themed images
The next step is figuring out what content you can include on the actual cover photo. While it is NOT recommended that you include any calls to action or price information, there does not seem to be any issues with including impactful content. We’ve seen company taglines or short descriptive phrases that help the reader understand your business and what it can do to help them. One of the fun ways people are using their cover images is to convey motivational or inspiring quotes. We’ve used our cover image as a place to say Thank You and include images of our fans.
Guess what, you’ve completed the most difficult part of creating and adding a cover image to your Facebook Page. Uploading the actual image to Facebook is actually pretty simple.
Here you go:
To add a cover photo to your page:
1) Go to your timeline
2) Click Add a Cover
3) Choose whether you want to upload a new photo or pick a photo from one of your existing photo albums
4) Once you choose a photo, you can reposition it by clicking on the image and dragging it up or down
5) Click Save
To edit your cover photo:
1) Go to your timeline
2) Hover over your cover photo
3) Click Change Cover at the bottom-right of your cover photo
4) Pick one of the options from the pop-up menu (ex: upload a new photo, reposition your current cover photo, or delete your cover)
5) Save your changes
So, now that you are the local expert on Facebook Cover photos, show us what you’ve got! Include a link to your Facebook Page so we can all check out your latest cover image! If you’d like us to do it for you, please contact us or leave us a voice-mail using the button on the side of this page.